Xiaomi gallery update brings protective watermark, improved photo organization and more
MIUI is one of the most feature-rich custom Android skins, offering a lot of customizations and customizations that you won’t find in the vanilla version of Android. As with other custom skins, MIUI is a bundle of many proprietary apps that rival what Google offers. It has its own app store to compete with the Google Play Store. Meanwhile, its Gallery app takes on the Google Photos app. And with the new update, the Gallery app just gets even better.
As spotted by the Telegram channel xiaomiui, the Gallery app has received a new update, v18.104.22.168, bringing several new features and improvements. Most notably, the latest update adds a new watermark protection feature to protect your identity and sensitive document. To use it, just open the image you want to protect, tap the “More” button in the lower right corner, and then select “Protective Watermark” from the menu.
The new update also adds a media search tool to help you quickly locate photos, the ability to pinch-to-zoom to customize the look of the photo grid, an optimized photo list layout, and more. .
The full changelog for the app update is as follows:
- Adding custom ID card protection watermarks to help protect your identity and private information;
- Added a media type finder to help you locate your photos more easily;
- Added display of photos taken nearby when an image is touched in the Photos card view;
- Optimized layout of the photo list to improve viewing efficiency. Allowed users to pinch to enlarge images and videos;
- Includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Gallery.
Note that Xiaomi has not yet officially started rolling out the new Gallery app for users. The APK was taken from a Chinese version of MIUI. However, you can grab the latest APK from APK Mirror and load it on your Redmi or Mi phone running Android 8.0 and above. I downloaded the app on my mom’s Redmi Note 8 running MIUI 11 Global and everything seems to be working fine except for the map display feature.