How to make a photo collage on the iPhone
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, a photo collage is worth ten thousand words! And, yes, you can create a photo collage right on your iPhone.
Photo collages are a fantastic way to share more than one photo in a single post or to share a story. There are hundreds of possible scenarios where you might want to create and share a collage.
Although the iPhone does not have a built-in feature that lets you create a photo collage, of course there is an app for that. Well, more like there are dozens of apps for it.
How to Make a Photo Collage on iPhone
Making a photo collage on an iPhone is quite simple. But, you will need the right tools. There are a plethora of third-party apps that you can download and create a collage. Of course, some apps are better than others. We’ll teach you how to create a photo collage on your iPhone using some of our favorite apps in the following sections.
We use the PhotoGrid app because it’s user-friendly, reliable, free, and gives us lots of editing tools. PhotoGrid is a video and picture collage maker and photo editor. With tens of millions of users, PhotoGrid is one of the best choices if you’re looking to create photo collages on the iPhone.
The PhotoGrid app comes with over 300 different layouts, so you’ll never run out of options to combine your photos in fantastic ways that will impress your audience.
There are also a few different editing tools in the app that can make your collage photos look even better. The app also offers a number of stickers, backgrounds and fonts to decorate your collages.
Finally, this popular application is completely free!
Here’s how to create a collage with PhotoGrid:
- Go to the App Store and search for PhotoGrid. Then press To have (if you’ve already downloaded it, tap the cloud icon).
- Tap the ‘X’ in the top left corner to skip the free trial. Or, if you want, you can take advantage of the premium features.
- Allow all necessary permissions to use the app.
- Tap the green ‘+’ sign at the bottom of the page to create a new collage.
- Tap the number of photos you want to include in your collage. Next, select the layout.
- Tap the “+” sign in the collage to add photos from your iPhone.
- Add the photos from your device’s camera roll and tap following.
- Faucet to safeguard in the upper right corner.
- Now select one of the options to share your collage.
If you’re an Instajunkie, PhotoGrid is the app for you. It comes preloaded with photo collage templates for the infamous Instagram 1:1 ratio, as well as 16:9 to create perfect Instagram collages.
What are the best collage apps for iPhone?
With dozens of apps to create a photo collage with your iPhone, it can be difficult to decide which one to use.
We can help you choose the perfect one by narrowing our choices down to the four below, taking into account the following features we think are important:
- Recent app updates: Many photo collage apps have been discontinued and don’t work well with photos taken on iPhone 7 or newer.
- High number of stars: The apps listed below have an average App Store star rating of 4+.
- A high number of stars: The best apps have a lot of users, so we ranked based on the number of stars each of these apps had received, which means a lot of people have used and rated these three apps.
- Free app feature: Photo collage apps for iPhone can be expensive, both to purchase and, after purchase, to purchase additional features through in-app purchases.
- Variety of photo collage layouts: The photo collage apps for iPhone listed below offer dozens or hundreds of cool options for your photo layouts, so you can find one that suits your image goals.
If you want one of the most comprehensive photo collage maker apps for the iPhone, then Pic Collage is the app for you. Over 190 million people have used this photo collage app to create amazing groupings of their favorite photos.
Pic Collage includes a number of templates, ways to decorate your collage, add text, touch gestures, and more. The app also features a clean design and is very easy to use. Pic Collage also makes it easy to share your collages on different social media accounts.
The only downside is that Pic Collage isn’t completely free. If you want to access advanced features or remove the watermark from your photos, you’ll have to pay the $4.99/month subscription fee, which isn’t bad for a quality app.
Photo Collage by Collageable
If you search for “photo collage” in the app store, you will get a lot of results. Find the application created by “Collageable”.
Photo Collage includes hundreds of collage layouts, frames, stickers and body filters to make your photos as beautiful as possible.
Instagram layout to create photo collage on your iPhone
The layout is simple to use and, of course, works well with Instagram. Here’s how to make a photo collage using Layout by Instagram on your iPhone.
- Install and open the Layout app.
- The home screen will display the photos in your library, and you can sort them by tapping Faces or Recents at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the photos to add them (notice the checkmark indicating the photos you selected)
- Scroll through the different paste options at the top of the screen, then choose an option.
- Pinch two fingers open or closed on the screen to zoom in or out on any photo.
- Options at the bottom let you rotate photos, replace a photo, or add a border to a photo.
- When you’re done working on your photo layout, tap Save.
- Look towards the bottom of your screen for sharing options.
Tips for making a photo collage on your iPhone
When using these apps, keep in mind that a photo collage is not just a bunch of random pictures pasted together. Instead, images should help you tell a story or demonstrate a particular theme.
For best results, keep these tips in mind to create an outstanding photo collage that people will love:
- Use burst mode to take a sequence of photos, then use those photos for the collage.
- Tell a story from start to finish using your photo collage as the backdrop for your story.
- Choose images that all have the same color or texture for your photo collage.
- Mix close-up images with distant scenes to give the viewer a sense of contrast.
While all three photo collage apps are great choices, there are tons more you can try if you want.
They all have different features and options, so find the one you like the most and get started. Most are free or very affordable, so it’s easy to switch them up or try out a few different ones – and hopefully you’ll end up with some fantastic photo collages in the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Picture collages are great fun to make and share. If you have any other questions, keep reading.
Can I create a collage without using third-party apps?
Unfortunately, iOS does not offer a native photo collage feature in the editing features of the app. This means that you will need a third-party app to do the pasting.
How can I get rid of watermarks after editing?
After creating your collage, you will click the download button to save the photo to your phone or share it to another app like Instagram. You may notice that the app developers have added a watermark.
Essentially, app development costs money, and so watermarks are included to attract other people to the app you used. In this situation, they are useful. But, sometimes watermarks can obscure your photo and design.
The only workaround is to take a screenshot of your finished collage while it’s still in the editor. Then you can upload the screenshot after cropping it. However, we recommend leaving the watermark in case your friends want to know which collage app you used so they can use it too.