Hockey Wyandotte Roosevelt defeats Gibraltar Carlson in 3 OT with PHOTO GALLERY – The News Herald

As the final seconds ticked away, it appeared that this “period” would end the same way as the previous five – with nothing decided.

Wyandotte Roosevelt vs. Gibraltar Carlson Hockey Photo Gallery

But with just six seconds left in third overtime on Friday night, Wyandotte Roosevelt’s William Ballantyne fired a straight shot across the net that crept into the back of the net to give the Bears an incredible 2-1 victory over Carlson in a Region 24 Division 3 Semi-Final at Allen Park Civic Arena.

The Bears will play the championship game Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. against Allen Park or Riverview Gabriel Richard.

While the Roosevelt players celebrated this emotional and exhausting victory with their hero of the moment, the Carlson players (16-10) surrounded their hero of the evening – goalkeeper Isaac Kolasa. The junior was nothing short of amazing, stopping 29 shots in the first three periods, four more in the first OT, two more in the second, and several more in the third before the Bears finally got past him.

Roosevelt wore the piece all night. The Bears dished out big hits, controlled center ice and created scoring chance after scoring chance. The Marauders had a few chances to score in overtime but failed to convert.

Eventually, the Bears were able to sneak one through Kolasa, thanks to a big effort past Ballantyne, who is just a sophomore. Matthew Kurc got the assist on the winning goal.

Roosevelt goaltender Aden Jordan allowed just one goal and stopped 18 shots in regulation time. He didn’t face much pressure in the three overtimes, but he was strong a few times to keep his team in the game.

It was Kurc who started the scoring with a goal at 12:23 of the first period to give the Bears a 1-0 lead. Luc Hill and Ballantyne got the assists.

Carlson responded with his only goal of the night. With 10:33 left in the second period, Jack Forynski scored to tie the game at 1-1. Braden Lazarz and Justin Genzel picked up the assists. Some time passed before another goal was scored.

In the third period, the Marauders had a power play for over four minutes, but couldn’t do anything. During that same Carlson power play, the Bears had two very good scoring chances while playing shorthanded.

With 3:42 left in the second overtime, Carlson went for the power play but couldn’t score.

The Bears had a power play in the third overtime but couldn’t score. However, the team ended the game before another overtime period was needed.

Carlson had qualified for the semi-finals with a 3-2 victory over Riverview-Cabrini three nights earlier in the quarter-finals at Allen Park Civic Arena. Roosevelt kicked off play in the region on Monday and beat Grosse Ile 3-1.

Jack C. Nugent